If you have dogs or any pets, you probably already experienced pee in your pavers, which can lead to stains and a terrible smell. It’s completely normal for pets to pee in outdoor spaces, but knowing how to clean afterwards is the key to maintain the beauty of your paving stones, avoid stains and smells.
Dog urine has an acidic PH that is capable of causing much more serious damage to pavers (especially if not cleaned right away), bringing aesthetic and financial damages, once the pet “needs” can cause corrosion.
If you want to clean your dog pee off your pavers, but have no idea how to do it, read this article and learn now in a step-by-step guide!
How to clean dog pee off pavers?
If your patio or driveway smells funny, don’t waste time to start cleaning. Leaving urine on your pavers can not only damage your pavers but can also bring health issues, such as ringworm, leptospirosis, Lyme disease, and infections.
Fortunately, cleaning dog pee is not impossible and after a good clean, your pavers will look (and smell) like normal again! Before you start cleaning, you’re gonna need some supplies:
- Garden hose
- Spray bottle or watering can
- Squeegee or scrubbing brush
- Soap (or dog urine cleaner & deodorizer)
All set? It’s cleaning time! Follow the next steps to remove dog pee correctly!
- Step 1: If the urine is recent, wash off everything with a garden hose to eliminate the excess urine and the smell. It’s important to mention as soon as you discover urine, you should rinse the area right after to avoid stains.
- Step 2: If you didn’t discover your dog’s urine right after or the garden hose didn’t remove it completely, you might need to do a deep cleaning. You can use dish soap or a urine cleaner for this. Pour all over the stained spot and let the product for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 3: After letting the product for a few minutes, use a bristle brush or broom and brush the stained spot to remove any remaining residue. Just be careful while brushing to not scratch your pavers.
- Step 4: Rinse the area again. If there are any stubborn urine stains, you can repeat the process many times as needed.
How to prevent stains from dog pee?
If you already have dogs or you’re thinking about getting a dog and you have outdoor pavers, the best choice you can make to prevent permanent stains is sealing them.
When you apply sealant, it creates an extra layer of protection that avoids any substance (dog pee, oil, etc.) to be absorbed by the paving stones. When you seal you not only protect from stains, but also color fading, cracking, mold, moss, and weed growth. You also preserve their beauty and enhance the look by providing a nice finish that can make them look like new again.
It’s worth mentioning that you also increase the durability of pavers when you seal them, making your investment lasts for years more than you expect.
If you wanna know more about pavers sealing, you can check our FAQ article and have all of your questions answered!
Leave the work in the hands of professionals!
As mentioned earlier, cleaning and sealing is the best way to maintain the beauty of your pavers. You can always leave the work in the hands of professionals, and if you are worried about the price, you can schedule a free estimate for our services!
At JS Brick, we have 20+ years of experience providing paver installation, supply, and maintenance services in Sarasota and surrounding cities. For a free estimate on paver cleaning and sealing services, don’t hesitate to leave us a message or a call.